29 April 2010

Gluten Free Guide

Key Benefits to Eating Gluten Free
  1. Reduce after-meal fatigue
  2. Reduce inflammatory symptoms such as joint pain, fluid retention, and bloating.
  3. Ease symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
  4. Increase energy
  5. Reduce "brain fog", improve concentration, limit irritability
  6. Improved sleep
  7. Improved stamina and exercise tolerance
  8. Control muscle cramping and spasms
  9. May reduce appetite and balance hunger
  10. Increase digestion transit time of food
This data is may or may not be true for each individual. Unique results are to be expected. Remember to contact your doctor or nutritional professional before embarking on a gluten-free diet.

Athletes going gluten-free? Click here to view article!

Could your weight problem be caused by gluten intolerance? Click here to view article!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Picks My Picks My Picks My Picks

Bread

1. Food For Life                                                                    2. Ener-G Foods
                                                        (buy on amazon here)
 











  
3. Udi's                                                                    4. French Meadow Bakery 
 










Cold Cereal

1. Envirokidz
(buy on amazon here)                                                          2. Nature's Path
                                                                                               (buy on amazon here)
 
  







3. Erewhon Cereal
 (buy on amazon here)                                                                4. CerealVit
                                            (buy on amazon here)
 








Hot Cereal

 1. Only Oats
                                                                                              2. Bob's Red Mill
                                     (buy on amazon here)

 







3. Bob's Red Mill 
(buy on amazon here)                                             4. Ancient Harvest
                                                                        (buy on amazon here)













Granola

1. Enjoy Life                                                      2. Bakery on Main
(buy on amazon here)                                                          (buy on amazon here)









(buy on amazon here)

                             4. Udi's
                              (buy on amazon here)










Cookies

1. Pamela's                                                                           2. Patsy Pie
(buy on amazon here)                                                       (buy on amazon here)












3. Arico                                                                    4. Enjoy Life
(buy on amazon here)                                                                  (buy on amazon here)












Crackers

1. Mary's Gone Crackers                                                        2. Crunch Master
(buy on amazon here)                                                                 (buy on amazon here)
 











3. Edward & Sons                      
 (buy on amazon here)                                                                    4. Glutino
                                        (buy on amazon here)   
                                                                 





Pasta


1. Tinkyada                                                       2. Orgran
(buy on amazon here)                                                         (buy on amazon here)













3. Eden Foods                                                   4. Orgran
(buy on amazon here)                                                        (buy on amazon here)
 










----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Gluten Free Grains:
Amaranth, arrowroot, buckwheat, corn (cornmeal, corn grits), fava, flaxseed, garbanzo bean (chickpea, besan, gram or channa), hominy, hominy grits, kasha (toasted buckwheat), millet, pure uncontaminated oats, quinoa, rice, sago, tapioca

Gluten Free Flours:
Bean flours (garbanzo, fava, romano), pure buckwheat flour, buckwheat bran, cornstarch, cornmeal, corn bran, garfava flour (garbanzo + fava bean flours), mesquite flour, montina flour (made from Indian rice grass), nut flours and nut meals, pea flour, potato flour, potato starch, rice flour (white and brown), sorghum flour, soy (soya) flour, teff (or tef) flour


 End Note: I personally believe everyone has a reaction/ issue with wheat. Even if your symptoms are mild, you can still be affected. Just like dairy, wheat is processed and has been in over-abundance in our diets. Gluten is a protein and therefore takes time to be broken down in the digestive tract. Reducing your consumption may help clear many of the symptoms you may complain about with your health. It will give you the chance to see how wheat truly affects your body.

I don't advocate cutting out gluten entirely if you are symptom-free already since these grains contain a lot of beneficial nutrients that you may not adequately balance on a gluten-free diet. But for those who are having inflammation, bloating, or digestive distress; you may want to consider a gluten-free cleanse (perfect in time for spring/summer).

Of course talk to your health care representative or nutrition expert before embarking on any dietary restrictions or changes.


39 comments:

alex said... [reply]

This is wonderful!!! I have severe IBS and didn't know that this would help. I need to research more into this...just a bummer it is more expensive.

Lisa (I'm an Okie) said... [reply]

I don't need to eat gluten free, but I think its GREAT that there are so many products out there so people who do need to cut out gluten can do so more easily now!

Anonymous said... [reply]

Wow! What a comprehensive list - thanks for sharing it. I eat wheat and don't notice any problems with it. Do you have celiac, or did you choose to eliminate gluten by choice? Also, I'd love to see you include a list of gluten-free grains; I always misplace those lists and have some friends with celiac who I'd love to cook for.

Danielle (Coffee Run) said... [reply]

This was really interesting! Especially the article you linked- I'm not gluten intolerant but I can def. feel a difference in digestion.

I'm a big fan of Leapin Lemurs :D

Anonymous said... [reply]

thats a great list! I always want to try cutting out gluten to see if I have an intolerance. Ironically, today I have eaten gluten free so far...maybe I should go the whole day!

Krista said... [reply]

This is a great, informative post so thanks for that! I've tried some of the products that you showcased and thought they were really good....Enjoy Life Foods, Mary's Crackers, Nature's Path, EnviroKids....

jessica said... [reply]

Thanks for the link to the article about gluten free athletes, very interesting!!

Anonymous said... [reply]

This is a very interesting and informative post!! I'll be the first to admit I...well...love my breads. But this definitely opened up my eyes to all of the gluten free products out there. And surprisingly - I've seen many of them in my store!

Anonymous said... [reply]

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love that you're from Victoria, I live in Vancouver!! Yay BC!!

I've tried going gluten free because I'm pretty certain that I have IBS and I didnt feel too much different. I think it I might try taking out dairy next to see if that helps.

I've tried a lot of those products that you listed. Love Pamela's products and I love love Natures Path Sunrise cereals!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said... [reply]

Nice guide. thanks for sharing!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said... [reply]

Nice guide. thanks for sharing!

MJC said... [reply]

Great informative post!!! I don't have any gluten problems, but if I did, I would seriously use this post as a reference! :)

Anonymous said... [reply]

Ooo thanks for this post, hun. I'm not gluten intolerant, but I wasn't aware that people who don't suffer from a gluten intolerance may benefit from eating less gluten. Maybe I'll try to cut some gluten out of my life and see how I feel as a result.

Averie @ Averie Cooks said... [reply]

what a super comprehensive list with pics!!! wow girl, amazing job!

Ashlei said... [reply]

What a wonderful post!! Thank you so much :D I love a lot of those products and fully feel those benefits you posted since giving up gluten. It's been a long, difficult road to get here but I'm much happier (as is my tummy) sans gluten :)

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin said... [reply]

Thanks so much for the info! I would like to experiment with cutting out some gluten from my diet because I have issues with bloating - but I'm not sure if it's gluten or just too much fiber. When I live on my own again in a few months I might give it a shot if my budget can handle it. All the foods you posted look so good, too!

Anonymous said... [reply]

wow what an awesome gf list. i think i may bookmark this post for my own benefit. gf granola? i am dying for some granola. i haven't had any for... goodness knows how long.

kelsey thank you so much for your wonderful comment on my last post. it is sad. i know :( but we're fighting, she's fighting, and we're going to win this. i'm going to copy out your comment and give it to her tomorrow :)
take care love xo

Lauren (Health on the Run) said... [reply]

Wow!! This is a great list! And the best part is that there's stuff on here already that I already love but just wasn't really paying attention to the fact that it's gluten free. One of my co-workers has a pretty bad intolerance to gluten so I might actually pass this info onto her if you don't mind. And I also want to do my own personal experiment with cutting it out for a day or so to see if it makes a difference. I don't think I'm gluten intolerant but I think it's possible that I do have some issues with it. I'm definitely bookmarking this list. Thanks again!!

Joanne said... [reply]

This is so interesting! I never thought about going gluten-free as a diet choice, more of just a necessity for those with Celiac's. Thanks for all of the info!

Simply Life said... [reply]

wow, I never knew all this! thanks for the info!

amanda said... [reply]

I have been hearing all of the wonderful things about eating glutten free! Although I don't have to for medical reasons, I think I might try it to see if I FEEL better after a while :) Great post!

Christina said... [reply]

Great list! I've actually tried a few of these products already. I love Mary's crackers!

Anonymous said... [reply]

I don't need to eat gluten free, but I wonder if I'd feel any different if I did! I'm not sure I'm ready or willing to cut out so many things, though... but I have tried a lot of these products anyway! ;)

<3 <3

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin said... [reply]

Great post! I love all the gluten free suggestions and honestly didn't know too much about the lifestyle before this!

Anonymous said... [reply]

Thanks for sharing this! x) Although I'm not on a GF diet, it's still great to know the benefits that comes with it. I read through a few of your other posts and I'm loving this blog! Will definitely be reading more!!!

Much love,
Nat xoxo

Ameena said... [reply]

I love reading about your favorite products because I have yet to find a loaf of bread that I consider worthy!

I LOVE Enjoy Life's products and Pamela's cookies. I also consume massive amounts of Erewhon cereals!

Anonymous said... [reply]

Wow, so many products are now available - I had no idea!

I've never seend the UDI brand before, I'll have to check it out.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said... [reply]

I never knew all of that about eating gluten free...very interesting. I think I may try to eat gluten free one day to see if I feel any different.

runnerforever said... [reply]

The post that I have been waiting for, thanks!!! I really liked the link to how it pertains to athletes. Definitely something to consider trying out.

Anonymous said... [reply]

WOW what a great and informative post. My GF roomie is gonna LOVE it. Thanks for your advice on gf products - it really does help!

Erica said... [reply]

Fabulous post- love seeing all of the GF products that are out there. I usually go to WFs for GF products, buts its nice that a lot of regular food stores are starting to carry more of them as well.

Anonymous said... [reply]

What a helpful article! I'm so glad you got my "bendy" carrot thing lol!

Megan D said... [reply]

Great post! I LOVE the enjoy life products (especially their snickerdoodle cookies) as well as the udi granola. I don't personally follow a gluten free diet, but a lot of the kids with autism that I work with do. I love learning more about it!

Lee said... [reply]

lol @ ibs

Jessie said... [reply]

I'm not gluten intolerant, but I will keep your list of products for clients and patients! Thanks, Kelsey! :)

lynn @ the actors diet said... [reply]

i'm not gluten free but i've gotten a chance to sample a lot of gluten-free goods for the blogs and these picks of yours ARE good.

Lauren said... [reply]

Hey love, thank you so much for this. I am really trying to limit the gluten in my diet because I'm sure it will be helpful for all my tummy issues. I see a lot of these products around, some of them I've already tried. This is really so helpful though, so thank you. xoxox

Karin said... [reply]

Great post thanks!! I actually didn't know much about gluten-free food because I don't have an intolerance but I see that it has lots of benefits :)

Anonymous said... [reply]

Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. I used to eat a lot of wheat and recently cut back on my intake. I've found that it definitely makes an major impact on my digestion and overall energy levels in a very positive way. I totally agree with your choices on this guide... I love the cereals and granolas you mentioned. I can't wait to look for the others! Thank you!!!!

xxoo
Heather

Post a Comment